Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Oh My Goodness, Oh My Gosh

That is her new saying, she says it really dramatic like, and it's pretty cute.
Monday we had our appointment with the Occupational Therapist and Speak Therapist. I think we overwhelmed both of them a bit, but we are going to continue to take her, at least just to keep her used to working with other people. It can still be hard for her to get over her shyness and talk to other people.
After searching we finally found a Physical Therapist with an opening. We told her our situation and she saw us right away. First of all I must say her demeanor with Anastasia was awesome. Anastasia worked pretty willingly with her and was laughind, participating and talking to her. The PT is very experienced and really good at what she does. She however does not think that Anastasia should have the surgery. She had never heard of the surgery and didn't really want to listen to me or read the info I printed out for her. She would rather do therapy, stretching, and medicine. Of course no matter what she will always need therapy and stretching. But those of you who know me know that I researched this tons, (as I do everything). I do not want her on a medicine everyday. Why would I pump her with medicine with nasty side effects and withdrawal when she could have a minimally invasive procedure that could help her in the long run. Me and the PT went back and forth. I already have the surgery scheduled for July 31. After talking with Gary we have decided to stay with the surgery. At our next appt, I will let the physical therapist know that, and see if she is still wanting to work with us. I cannot tell you how many people have posted that their physical therapists were against the surgery until they saw the kids afterwards and were amazed. This was not an easy decision, trust me, decided things for your children is heart wrenching, I just want to do what is best for her now and for the long run.

So one thing the therapist wanted us to work on is Anastasia getting to a standing postition from the floor. When she falls she has to crawl over to something to pull her self up. So if she falls in the middle of the yard, that can make for a long crawl back to the house. So after dinner I did her stretches with her and then told her we needed to work on what the Dr. had showed us. Her initial reaction was what she usually does, flop over, not trying, saying she can't, whining, etc... I told her the Dr. said that she can do this, that her legs are good legs, we have to work hard to learn how to use them though, and that we were not going to have our dessert until she at least tried. (Hey, there's nothing wrong with bribary)
Gary came in and helped us. Before we know it the girl does it!!! I was screaming and clapping. The look on her face was priceless. She showed Cody and he made huge deal. We praised her over and over again. --Then ate ice cream of course----

Then came the storm. It seems like with every emotional event, even when good, something happens in her, and it overstresses her or brings something out. I was on the phone with a friend, telling her about our day and Anastasia's big accomplishments, I was sitting at the computer in my bedroom. She came in and asked if she could use the computer, I told her she could use her computer (we have one for her that we hook up to the TV) She said no she wanted Mommies computer I told her not right now, maybe later when Cody or Cooper could help her. There's this look in her face that happens when she is deciding if she wants to battle or not. Gary came into the bedroom to hook up her computer and she started throwing a fit, she wanted my computer. I told her to go out of my bedroom, and when I was done on the phone we could talk about it. She refused. I told her again, very calmly, she refused. Then she went into full out fit. I got off the phone and took her hand to walk her out of the bedroom, but by that time she was gone emotionally. I carried her to bedroom but she refused to stay in there, full out screaming, kicking, crying.
I told her she did not have to go to bed, that she could play in her room, if she calmed down. She refused. So I went in and dressed her for bed, layed her in her bed and layed down next to her. I could tell this was a fit that she needed to throw, she needed to get it out, so what I do (I had to do this once before. I lay next to her with my leg over her, not touching her but if she trys to sit up it stops her. She screamed and yelled, twisted, and begged. The sound of it is really horrendous. She was screaming that Cody and Cooper were not going to bed yet (it was about 8:30, bedtime is usually 9-9:30) She has seen each of the boys go to bed early once for not behaving. She knew that was why she was being put to bed, but it still felt so unfair to her. The whole thing lasted about 1.5 hours, not all fit. I explained over and over again what she did wrong, and she told me how unfair it was. I let her speak and she let me speak. She had other things she talked about, such as how unfair it was that I hadn't let her buy anymore purses. She has 7, I think. So we did a lesson in money I got change and showed her that when we buy something, I have to pay and sometimes the money is all gone. And that purses, clothes, toys, are fun, but first we have to pay for house, lights, water, car, food, etc... She said Daddy works, works, works, so we should have enough money for more purses.
I told her she should be thankful for what she has, some girls have no purses. Entitlement is a feeling that comes easy!! I want her to know she can voice her opinion, but that certain actions get punished, and that Mommy and Daddy are in charge. We talked for a long time, and it ended well, but boy was I tired!

2 comments:

  1. You are such a great mom!!! Can you come deal with my 3 year old son ;) I think you are making the right decision about PERCS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jacolyn,
    Thanks for the encouragement, as Moms we all need a thumbs up sometimes!!
    Cara

    ReplyDelete