Monday, May 18, 2009

Miracles do happen!

Noone knows why, and everyone was in shock, we got an immediate decision!!
They were still telling us this morning they did not expect it, the judge had already told them at their meeting that the 10 days would not be waived. She just does not waive the 10 days we were told, but she did!!! We just emphasized that we had spoke to several doctors and were ready to get her immediate medical help for her condition. She seemed impressed by the fact that we have called the orphanage on a regular basis. She seemed to like Gary, she smiled when he answered several questions. I gave the closing statement and that was our chance to "plead our case", I told her that we truly loved and missed Anastasia and that we were eager to have her home with us so that we could get her the medical treatment that she needed so that she would be ready to start school, I felt as if the surgery would make her safer and build her self confidence. She said, how soon do you want to take her home?
The whole court room (all 7 of us) about fainted, I said "The soonest you would allow her to come home" She said "So if I said tomorrow you would be ready" "Yes your honor that would be wonderul" Everyone still just sat there with huge dumb-founded smiles. There was the social worker and paperwork lady from the orphanage, 2 court officials and our translator. She then left to make her decision. The Russians were giggling like school girls, they could not believe what just happened. The social worker and paperwork people gave wonderful heartfelt testimonies on our part, I'm sure they helped our case.
She came back not even 10 minutes later and granted us our adoption, with immediate decision!!!
There were hugs all around. Our Russian facilitor that works for the adoption agency was sitting in the hallway waiting, when we opened the door and told her she hugged us and said she had no idea how we got an immediate decision. Then we sat there while 5 Russian ladies made many phone calls to many people trying to sort out what to do next. I cannot tell you the compassion we were shown today. I'm sobbing recalling it. IF you are reading this and adopting from Russia, I can tell you I truly believe every family that adopts from there is teaching about compassion to people who have not been taught it and probably not shown it. Especially those who are adopting older or special needs children. They still do not understand why we would want to do this, but as they see us do it over and over again I believe that they are learning that we love these children just as any other and as our own.
I would love to be in bed right now, but I am waiting to be contacted about change of flights, hotels, etc...
We went today and got her new birth certificate!! It is in Russian but they showed us where it said "Anastasia Michelle Suttles", and where it listed us as her parents!! So surreal.
The next several days are very busy with paperwork. Anastasia will stay in the children's home for that period of time. These are not short easy trips to do paperwork. Also she needs time to process that she is leaving the orphanage and time to say goodbye. She told us yesterday she is ready to come home NOW.
Please continue to pray our paperwork goes smoothly. As of now we are flying home next Friday the 29th!
I will keep you posted

9 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness... I am sitting here crying... tears of JOY!!!! YEAH!!!! Praise GOD!!!! Will you email me and let me know what flight you are on coming into ATL? What date/time will your arrival be???
    I'm so excited for all of you, but especially Anastasia! I can't wait to hear her reaction when you tell her she is coming home with you this week!
    Enjoy your time in Russia! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That is amazing. Who wouldn't love you and Gary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such exciting news . . as soon as I saw the post's title I knew what it would be! So happy for you all. Can't wait to hear more,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is just amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yay! I'm so behind, I did not even realize you were back over there! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited for all of you, I am glad the judge has seen in you what I have known since... well we don't need to show our age. Congratulations to a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited about the new addition to the sweet, sweet Suttles family. We love all you guys and can't wait to love this precious angel God has given ya'll. God is so good. What a testimony to the power of prayer. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah - I've nominated you for a blog award . . . since I've recently started following yours . . . but, you probably don't have time for it now - you're a little busy!!

    ReplyDelete