Monday, May 25, 2009

The Joys and Trials

As in any other parenting journey we are on a long road of joys and trials. The trials have been so trivial so far, and at this point still comical to us.
She has not wanted to walk, which is the opposite of how she was while with us in the US. When we go out to walk around and eat she insists Gary carry her. Well, at the dr. today she weighed at least 56lbs(she was not fully balanced on the scale) We have no idea how she managed to gain weight in an orphanage!!! We feel blessed that she is so healthy, but I can barely lift her. Table manners are another trial, face over plate and shovel seems to be her strategy, we are working on smaller bites and slowwing down, and wiping our face. She seems so puzzled when we instruct her on this. Sometimes she even chokes she eats so fast.
And our welcome to the world of girls-whining!! When we are in the apartment she whines over and over to go outside, she says outside 5 million times, each time getting more whiney. We ask her to stop asking, most of the time we are still getting ready, etc... Then once we are at a restaurant she whines for her food, then once she is done eating she whines to leave. I am positive she understands when we tell her to stop whining. She repeatedly says "mommy go, etc.." So tonight after dinner she started doing the whining, we told her to stop, she did not, sometimes she even does it with a smirk on her face, I told her we would go home(apartment) rather then outside walking if she did it again. We have threatened this before but never followed through. So of course she whined again. So we told her now we are going home. She was still smirking thinking we wouldn't do it. She walked holding my hand whining, she walked behind me hanging onto my jacket whining, "no home mommy outside" I said nothing to her and instructed Gary to do the same. About half way back I could tell she was not walking well so I asked if she wanted Daddy to carry her, she looked surprised, like this was an odd offer cosidering we were mad at her.
When we got back to the apartment I explained to her again why we came straight home. I'll let you know tomorrow if it works!!

Yesterday we were trying to get her to walk while we were outside and she refused. Finally we told her she had to. As soon as we put her down, she took my hand and walked me as fast as she could, about 5 stores back from the way we came to a children's clothes store!! Ha, she loves to shop. That's my girl.
She seems a little stiffer than before and more frustrated with her body. Understandable. We don't know how soon she will be able to have surgery, and Gary and I were talking about crutches or a walker. Just to use sometimes. I told him she wasn't going to like the idea, to her that is not "normal", and she wants to be "normal". So today I pulled up a picuture of a child with CP using the elbow crutches, She dropped to the ground and layed face down, and said "no,no,no". She was not yelling or throwing a fit, just refusing to take part in the onversation. I told her it would keep her from falling and be easier, "no,no,no"
Oh, boy!

The joys-are too numerous to list.
One of the cutest things-her saying I don't know with her Russian accent
Her common come back when she thinks she doesn't like something you said, or if Gary is teasing her, "NO, You!" Except, it comes out "No Chjew"
She loves to learn, she just soaks it in. She can count to 12,and can write up to 10 (in english)
She is very quickly learning her colors.
Letters are harder, because some of the same letters in our language have totally different sounds. But I don't think it will take her long. And she can write small words and sound them out in Russian. She seems to be on the fast end of learning English.
She is so sweet and giving. When we come home, she kneels down to help me with taking my shoes off. As much as she loves her food, she will quickly share, even if you have nothing to share in return. Haha, tonight at dinner she saw the fries on Gary's plate and wanted some, she she offered him some of her food. Pretty smart!!
She notices needs, like I was laying my head on the hard couch arm, she folded up her special blanket and brought it to me to put under my head.
She is just so vibrant, receptive, spirited, empathetic, just amazing!!

When I was laying with her tonight I was trying to explain to her about her new name. She has no clue she ever had a Russian middle name, she doesn't understand what a middle name is. She told me in her own way that she will take the Michelle, but she wants nothing to do with the Suttles. Hehe, she'll learn over time.

She asks over and over to go home to America, and to see Cody and Cooper.

1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to read about your sweet daughter and her personality. It so happens that your trials are the exact same as ours - maybe it's a "Nastja"-thing:)

    ReplyDelete