Sunday, January 4, 2009

I'm trying to think

What we did all week after Atlanta. We took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese, I don't think she has ever been. The first game she went to was the skiball. Well, I can't really describe what she looked like when she first started playing it. It hasn't seemed that the CP affects her arms, but she was having a hard time, the ball was going in the next lane, behind her, on the floor, everywhere except for where she needed it to go. But she stuck with it. And yes, everyone was staring, I could care less, I was laughing my head off and trying to teach her how to do it. She tried and tried and listened to the tips I gave her, and by the time we left there she was rolling that ball up that lane!!! All while having her knees bent so she could prop herself up against the side of the game (she can't stand on her own, even though she can walk on her own)I took a video of it I will try to post it.
I now some people have asked us about what she can and can't do. Well it's really varied. She walks, but it's not real pretty. She can't stand on her own. When she falls, which is often, she has to crawl to something to pull herself up. She is very strong. She can go to the bathroom on her own, but most of the time I go with so I can make sure all is actually landing in toilet, because she can't really push herself all the way up onto the seat. I'm not sure if she could dress herself if she had to. Her legs don't bend like ours, it's like dressing a barbie doll, really, because that's how her feet are. She usually "W" sits, she sits with her knees bent, feet behind her when she is on the floor. She can't climb a slide then get her legs to where they need to be, so head first it is, no joke!!!
IT the muscles in her legs that are tight that is the problem, that is what she will have surgery on. She does not let her legs slow her down, and I can tell she longs to walk normal. She will show me how she can walk "normal like", she puts her hands down to her sides and gets her heels as close to the ground as possible. Ms. Iowa last year has the same kind of CP as Anastasia has, if you look up the video of how she walks.
Also when she is tired, her toes don't clear the ground, the shoes we bought her 2 weeks ago are shredded at at the toes.

No comments:

Post a Comment