Saturday, August 23, 2008

Update-sorry it's been a while

Hello everyone.
I know it's been more than a couple days since I've updated. This process is very emotional and I told myself going into it that I was going to be patient and not freaking out all the time, well that's not happening.

First of all, I didn't hear back from the Host Director until yesterday (Friday).
I obtained a photolisting of those orphans that went back to their country this last week without being "spoken for"-meaning noone said they wanted to adopt them while they were here.

So there was one girl who caught my eye, a 6 year old, with mild Cerebral Palsy. Mostly affects here legs, does not use a walker or anything. We believe she is normal cognitively from what the summary said from her host family. I wasn't sure why it said she was up for adoption since she is only 6, from Latvia they have to be 9, I thought perhaps it was because she has special needs. Upon showing her to Gary, he was just as smitten as me, she's got one of those faces that shines with joy.

So yesterday I called the Host Director's cellphone. She is really busy since she leaves for Latvia today, but I had to know if this little girl was still available. So she says, oh yes she knows who the little girl is and yes she is available. But then she says, she is from Russia. UGHHHHHHHH. So I explain to her that I can't adopt from Russia because I take Zoloft, she says, yes you can I adopted from Russia and I take Zoloft.
Russia has no law against antidepressants (some do), it's just a prejudice that the country has against using those types of medications.

So I call our homestudy social worker, and she says if my doctor says I have no mental illness (which I don't, shush your mouth, some of you, I know what your thinking), then she does not have to disclose my meds!!!!

The director of the hosting program gave me the name of an adoption agency that she works with. I left them a message and the Owner/Director called me last night around 9:00. She warned me that he was hard to understand, he's from Astonia. Well that was a understatement!!! I had to concentrate really hard to understand him. He asked me several questions, like how many children do we have, how many bedrooms do we have, how much money do we make, and what do we do for livings, etc... Then he made it very clear to me, he needs the girls Name, Date of Birth, and Orphanage number, so he can make sure she is adoptable, he said he doesn't like people to get their hopes up to high until he finds that out first. Too late about the hopes being up.

The office manager will be getting me that information either tomorrow or Monday along with contact information of the family who hosted her so that we can get mor insight on what the girl is like.

Once we find out wether or not she's available we will post her name, and a little more information about her.

This week we sent in our application for the homestudy.
And we got our fingerprints and local back ground checks done.
This morning Gary mailed the fingerprints to the proper places (we hope).
I don't know how people went through this before the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment