Saturday, August 16, 2008

our adoption options-or not

In the mean time I start researching our adoption options. Like I said I really felt like Ukraine was not for us. Over the next couple days I had requested information packages from several agencies. The options were overwhelming, as well the costs involved as everyone knows.

So Wednesday I get my first packet in the mail. As I start reading I run into the information about parent requirements, most of which I was aware of: age, marriage time, etc..
Well then comes a statement that would quickly limit our options. It was something to the tune of: Countries A,B,C,D, and E will NOT consider parents who are currently taking or have taken antidepressants in the past several years. WHAT? Not even for simple issues like clinical depression or anxiety. So I knew my diagnosis of fire-breathing PMS would not fly with them.

At this point I'm disappointed , but not like I would expect. I had a feeling God was closing doors to show me which ones were open. The options had been overwhelming. And well now, they were very limited, really I wasn't sure now what our options were. Domestic adoption was one, but it's not one that we were considering, even though they would accept parents with antidepressant history.

In the back of my mind I had the possibility of getting to host a child we would want to adopt from the hosting program. But I figured we would just wait that out till they put the Bios and information for the host children up on the website in September. Gary had put the application in Excel form for me so we could type it up.
And I figured I better get ahold of an agency that dealt with Latvian adoption to see what Latvia's policy on the antidepressant thing was. But I couldn't get up the nerve I was too afraid of what they would say.

No comments:

Post a Comment