Saturday, January 16, 2010

I'm Back, A's detailed school update

The computer is fixed, thank God, and Kevin, my friends husband, whoohoo. This month is the first month we were going to be able to put extra payments on our adoption debt, and it almost looked like that money was going to have to go to buying a computer. I am truly thankful to have someone care enough to fix it for me, what a God send.
So, how is my Girl doing? Pretty well. I would say. I didn't really have any expectations when it came to school for her, not that I expected her not to excel, I knew she was smart, but I had never parented a child who had never had any schooling, spoke a different native language and was about to be stuck in 1st grade. So she has been in school 5.5 months.
She can read at a low first grade level, she is progressing nicely, this is one of the areas she is behind in compared to others in her class, but I did not expect her to be reading as well as she already is.
Math, I would say she is doing very well in, it takes her some work to get some concepts, others she gets easily. First grade is not what it used to be, they are doing things like adding 2 digit numbers, like 35+12, they count by 2,5,10, to 100, foward and backwards, they do word problems (which is her weakest point in math) they count money (took a lot of extra tutoring for her to get that one, etc...
She often gets 100 on spelling tests or only misses 1 or 2, how awesome is that.
Overall her behavior is great at school. For the most part she has stopped pretending she doesn't know something. She does like to read books to an adult, but she does not like taking the inituative to read instructions on a paper or a short story she has to answer questions on, etc... This is something we are working on, it's hard and she doesn't want to do it. She is a little bit bossy, what girl isn't!! And a very sore loser, very, very sore winner, like, in your face I won, haha. Not sure if this has anything to do with her past, I think it is just her personality, makes me laugh inside sometimes but we don't allow her be cruel to others, something that has taken some getting used to, being cruel to others was just fine in the children's home, certainly not a punishable offense.
I am so proud of how well she is doing school, she really works hard at it. I was reading someone else's blog, she was trying to decide wether or not to send her older adopted children to school or homeschool them. The schools explained to her that she would basically have a lot of work to do with them in the evening for them to catch up. So basically this mother said "I would be sending them to school during the day, and homeschooling them at home also" Yes, exactly the school told her. That is very much what it is like. I enjoy helping her learn and don't mind it one bit, but it does take time. We had debating homeschooling her for sometime before sending her to school. She wantd to go to school, and I think that it was the right decision, she needed to learn things from school that are not academic related, like how to interact with others. I am not at the school nearly as much as I was in the beginning, but I am still there every morning, if the teacher is teaching something new, I stick around for the lesson so that I can help her learn it at home if it is not something she grasps at first. Her teacher and I have a great understanding of what I expect from Anastasia behavior wise and it has worked out well. Her teacher knows that she can send home a paper that Anastasia has had a hard time with and that I WILL reteach it at home. I don't know the methods to teach a 1 st grader how to add 2 digit numbers, her teacher does, and she is great at teaching, but no school has time to tutor a child for hours. If you are going to adopt an older child, I think it only right to expect that you've got to step up and do the extra work to make sure the child does as well as they can.
I had asked the ESL teacher if she thought Rosetta Stone would be helpful for Anastasia language developement. From what I've read many older internationally adopted children do very well in school, go on to be head of their calls, valevictorian even, but are still behing in language. So I wanted to give her as much as I can in that area. They don't have the time to do it in school she told me, but Anastasia could have free subsricption to it and do it at home!! How great is that, she started on it last night and she loves it. So far I think it is great, and I think it will help her tremendously. And I don't have to pay for it.
Sorry this was long. This post isn't really for those who like to come here for a short update or for entertainment. But I like to encourage those who have just adopted or are thinking of adopting a school aged child.

1 comment:

  1. It might not have been a full blown update with lots of fun things or stories about behavoiral stuff, but I did enjoy it. You are doing a wonderful job as being her Mommy. It shows in this post that you are willing to go the extra mile in whatever it is to give Anastasia the best education she can have.
    There are TONS of biological parents that would not do this for their children. So pat yourself on the back.

    It sounds like Anastasia is doing fairly good in getting use to school and her life with her forever family. I am so proud of her and YOU.
    Hang in there Mom things are looking up.
    I love hearing how she is doing no matter if it is the good, the bad, and the ugly. LOL!! AT least it sounds like the ugly maybe behind you or at least I hope it is until her teenage years at least. LOL!!

    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete