Thursday, December 18, 2008

dreshka!!!!

I don't know how to spell it, but that's how to say dress in Russian, we went to Kohl's today, and that is what she said very excitedly, so of course I bought her one! How could I resist. But I had her say "dress please" in English first, ahh bribery!!! She has also said "drink please", wait, come on, I love you, thank you, santa claus, and several others, so she is learning. Well I say that, but I know she knows much more, but she doesn't want to show it for whatever reason.
Last night I had gotten sun catchers for the kids to paint, I figured that didn't require language, it was lots of fun, and got Cody to finally acknowledge Anastasia. I think he was very intimidated by the situation at first, scared by the way she walks, and just overwhelmed. But last night they started a friendly game of throwing the santa hat at each other, so that is progress!! Cooper is doing great, they both talk all the time, in 2 different languages, and get frustrated because the other one won't stop talking! Cooper is great with her, he talks to her even though she doesn't understand and tells her that she needs to learn English. Today he wanted to show her something and he told her to hold his hand so that she would not fall!
I had bought a stroller for kids with disabilities, it cost 400.00, and is already worth every penny. She can walk, and wants to, but for things like shopping, it's really better and more helpful if she rides.
Last night the boys went to bed early since they didn't have naps, and me and Gary sat on the couch with her and watched Little Mermaid, she didn't care that it wasn't in English. I had her pick out an ornament, and they had one that had a set of two Ariels, one as a mermaid and another as a princess with a dress, perfect!!!!! She loves them, and it's a fond memory for us, and symbolic I think. She is a mermaid now, beautiful and wonderful, and from somewere much different than where she will end up, Russia vs. America. After she is home forever, and has surgery on her legs, she will be like Ariel with her legs, where she belongs. And like Ariel, she sings and sings.
Our challenges so far: well the language obviously, but that will just take time
The biggest, is her disabilities I think, not for her, that is life as she knows it, but I became the mother of a child with disabilities over night. I have to bathe her, lift her onto the toilet if I don't want pee all over my floor, lift her in and out of the car, etc... That is a total life change. But a mission and purpose God has given me and one that I accept as much of a gift as it is a challenge. I thank God for my legs and that they work the way I need them too, easy and effortlessly. That is a huge part of our lives that we don't even realize, and I pray so hard that one day she will know that freedom.
Well, she has entertained herself for the 20 minutes I've been on the computer, the first since she's been here!! She wants me at her side, and says mama or mom, every minute or so. I told myself she will just have to learn, so I just sat down, and told her Mom was busy but that I would come in a little bit.
Type at you later!!

1 comment:

  1. The part in your last blog that talked about her wanting to show Gary her dress made me tear up...Thank you so much for sharing all of this with us! I hope everything continues to go well.

    I can just picture Cooper talking and talking and being frusterated that she doesn't understand =)

    ReplyDelete