Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Happy Birthday!!!

NOT
I'm not real sure how she thought she was going to pull this off since I'm in her classroom every morning. But yesterday morning Anastasia's teacher says something to the effect, "is today's Anastasia's Birthday?" I know the look on my face was very puzzled, why in the world would she think today was her birthday?? According to Mrs. G, Little Ms. Thing had started bragging about her birthday around Dec. 1st, telling them that her birthday is Dec. 8th. Obviously very convincingly so. Since Anastasia was added to the class her birthday was on the chart on the wall, and the teacher had not really thought to double check, I mean every 7 year old knows when their birthday is coming up. Immediatley Anastasia's head goes down. "Anastasia, when is your birthday?" I asked her. "After Christmas", she replied. "When after Christmas?" I asked. See I know she knows exactly when her birthday is, she talks about it constantly. "February", "When in February Anastasia?" "February 2nd Mommy"

The classroom sings if it's your birthday and you get a treat bag from the teacher. I know my daughter and she wanted that attention AND that treat bag. I was so disappointed in her for lying, and for lying for such a selfish reason. Some people think this was cute, I did not. Lying is not something we have had a big problem with so I was surprised by this. Then when we got home and I told her she had to tell me why she did it, not because I didn't know, but because I knew it was important for her to say it. She absolutely refused, she said she was not going to say it becuase she didn't want to get in trouble. She knew the more she refused to say it the bigger the trouble would be, she stuck by the fact that she forgot when her birthday was. Finally she did tell me why she did it.
She didn't have a good morning this morning either. Hopefully when I pick her up from school today she will have had a better day.

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog - find it interesting to follow the adoption of an older child. Thank you for sharing.
    You seemed disappointed in Anastasia for lying about her birthday. I would be disappointed too, yet I do want you to realize children lying at the elementary age in school is common. I am a first grade teacher and I cannot tell you how many times children have lied about their birthdays, how old they are, how many brothers and sisters they have, how many pets, etc., etc. Not that this is something to be pround of, but I did want you to be aware that she is not the only one. She definitely needs to realize that it is not okay to lie, but she was probably quite embarassed by the whole situation and will not want to experience it again. Sometimes parents do not realize how common this is with young ones. I would venture to say that about half the kids in a classroom lie about one thing or another. Again, I'm not saying this is right or encouraging it - just trying to share my experience.
    Please continue to share your wonderful stories. Anastasia is a very lucky girl and I can't wait to see what the future holds for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I was going to say maybe she was confused by when her birthday was, but then I read that she did know. LOL!!

    Humm looks like she wanted the attention that the other kids have been getting. Wonder if she thought she could pull it off in February as well?
    I am with you, some might think it was cute but to me I did not think so much of it. I would have been disappointed in her lying as well. No matter how old she was! I do not believe it teaching a child it is okay to lie!

    Sorry I have not been writing much lately. I have had a Heart Attack a month ago and it is has taken me a long time to get over it and just have not felt up to getting on the computer much. This past week has been better and I have been wanting to see how things were going with miss A.

    Love,
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I totally understand. Don't you love it when you are working on something specific to adjustment, etc., and everyone else thinks it is so cute -- yet you are cringing inside? I feel this way about Nika's sucking her fingers. It drives me insane with all the germs and stuff, not to mention the fact that her fingers are dry/cracked and her palate is misshaped because of it! It is not cute people ... do not encourage it! LOL

    ReplyDelete